To Our Clients:
Tax Season Extension
The US Treasury Secretary has announced as of Friday 3/20/20 that the April 15 tax deadline has been extended until July 15th. This applies to both the filing of tax return documents and the payment of any tax that may be due. Those taxpayers who pay quarterly estimated tax payments do not need to pay their first quarterly estimated tax payment for 2020 until July 15th. Taxpayers can choose to file an additional extension, by July 15th, that would give them until October 15th to file their tax return. However, if a payment is due with their 2019 tax return, that payment will still be due by July 15th.
We want to share information about the steps we are taking to minimize any potential impact as a result of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation and maximize our efforts to keep our team and clients safe. This outbreak has all of us focused on the safety and health of our families, friends, and clients. We are closely monitoring the rapidly changing data and facts associated with COVID-19 and the impact it is having both locally and around the world. We want to assure you that we have plans in place to minimize any possible disruption to our firm and our ability to be of service to our clients. As such, these are the steps that we have taken effective immediately to protect the health of our community:
- We have closed our office building to the public. All meetings and discussions with clients will be conducted over the telephone.
- Client information can be delivered to us in a number of ways. It can be emailed or faxed to us – we can email you a secure link that will allow you to upload your documents to us safely. Information can be mailed to us or physically dropped off at our front porch.
- We have a small locked drop box by our front door for 24 hour use and temporarily have a larger box on our front porch where bigger packages can be left during business hours and then immediately retrieved by a staff member. We have made arrangements to have a permanent large secure box installed on our front porch that can accommodate larger packets 24 hours a day. Please note that any physical documents sent to us, either through the mail or dropped off, will be quarantined for the recommended 72 hours prior to be handled. Therefore, anything that can be sent to us electronically may be able to be processed more expediently.
- We will deliver completed tax returns and documents to you either via email or regular mail based on your preference. We can email things to you securely and have e-signature capabilities in place for you to sign the permission documents remotely if that works well for you. Otherwise, you can return the signed permission documents to us using your choice of delivery method. We can accept credit card payments over the phone or checks can be mailed or left in our drop box. If you leave cash in our drop box please be sure to secure it with your name.
- Our partners and staff have remote access capabilities which will assist us in continuing to provide timely and effective service to you from our individual homes in the event of this situation worsening.
- We are routinely monitoring information issued by the IRS, Department of the Treasury, and applicable state departments of revenue regarding tax filing deadlines. At this time, it is anticipated that the Federal and State governments will likely delay the tax filing deadlines and associated payments by a minimum of 90 days. Guidance and exact dates are expected to be provided by the government in the near future. https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus is a webpage that the IRS has established to update taxpayers on steps being taken to help with tax relief.
- We are also monitoring federal and state CDC websites for updated and relevant information that might require additional planning and changes to the delivery of our services.
In hindsight, these will hopefully be seen as overprotective decisions, but we feel the need to do our part to help contain the spread of this virus and protect those who are most vulnerable to it.
Thank you for your trust and patience during this challenging time and please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
Take care and be well,
Marilyn D. Smith, CPA
Thomas C. Smith, E.A.
Ashley G. Hanscom, CPA
BHA, LLC – Certified Public Accountants
P. O. Box 697
344 Ellsworth Road
Blue Hill, Maine 04614
Welcome to BHA, LLC
For over 35 years BHA, LLC has provided accounting and tax consulting services to individuals and businesses in a variety of industries. Clients rely on us for their regular accounting services and many call on us for sophisticated financial management advice, business and tax planning assistance or for specialized consulting.
We are focused on maintaining the highest level of expertise in the services we provide. We make this happen with our credentials and an ongoing commitment to training and education.